St. Gregorios Orthodox Church
Church Address: 1231 Van Houten Avenue Clifton, NJ 07013
Office: (215) 279 8452
9:30AM - Morning Prayer
10:30 - Holy Qurbana
St.Gregorios Malankara Orthodox Syrian Church is a parish of the American diocese of the Malankara Orthodox Syrian Church of India. It is one of the oldest parishes in the American diocese. The parish is named after St. Gregorios or Parumala Thirumeni. So as a coincidence Nov 2 nd, the feast of Parumala Thirumeni, is celebrated as our church anniversary every year. This parish was established by late Rev. John Mathews in West Orange, New Jersey in September 1976. In 1977, the congregation was moved to Presbyterian Church in Newark. On October 28, 1978, His Grace Thomas Mar Makarios declared the congregation as a parish under his jurisdiction. Due to the unexpected growth in membership, Achen was compelled to move a more spacious church on Hellers parkway, Newark. Unfortunately, within a short time, we lost the use of that place and moved back to the old place in January 1995. On February 19, 1995 Achen was taken to eternal life. His death was a great blow to us. We remember with respect and thank the valuable services Achen and his family rendered for the growth of the parish. May his soul rest in peace. Very Rev. C.K. John Cor-Episcopa was appointed vicar-in –charge and was later replaced by Rev. Mathew C. Chacko and Rev. Samuel K. Mathew till February 2005. Rev. Fr. Babu Varghese took over as vicar of this church at the end of February of 2005.
Our church gives opportunities for people to worship. Our worship consists of praise, thanksgiving, confession, petition, reading of the Scriptures, and dedication. The Holy Eucharist is offered every Sunday and all the faithful are encouraged to take part in it. Our church grew over the years and currently we have several families as members. Our regular worship service is on Sundays starting at 9.30 am. Other activities include: